Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Showing Videos In Class

Showing Videos In The Classroom

The other day I was asked to help get a VCR working. My first response was, "is this video not available in a different format?" It got me thinking about the last time I used a video tape in the classroom, it must have been at least four years!

In the past, the library was my go to resource for videos, as long as someone else didn't have the TV cart signed out! Smartboards, Discovery Education (all EPSB teaching staff have an account), YouTube, Teachers' Domain and occasionally Teacher Tube have changed all that.

Discovery Education

What I like about Discovery Education is that they have video segments as well as full videos easily available.  That makes using videos for a set, for an example or for closure so easy!  I even use video segments for centres. Discovery Education is not exhaustive and it is not Canadian. So the content is limited when it comes to things like social studies. 

If you have an account with Discovery Education, you can save and organize the content that you use every year. EPSB staff and students simply have to log-in to SchoolZone and go to the Resources tab. By accessing Discovery Education this way, you are already logged in!

I also like that Discovery Education makes it easy for me to download the videos I want to use. That way I can plan ahead and not have to worry about Internet problems when it comes time for my lesson. Don't forget to delete them after you are done, or your IT analyst may come to have a chat with you about the amount of server space you take up! :-) 

YouTube

As is stated in the blog post Effective Uses of Video in the Classroom"Social media has allowed anyone to become a video producer. The result is an explosion of high-quality teaching videos."

What I really like about YouTube is the playlist function. It is worth setting up an account just for that function. Sometimes I find great videos on YouTube that are less than a minute long but they only include part of what I wish to inform my students about. The great thing about a playlist is that you can group a bunch of videos together and they will play immediately one after the other. You can control the order of the videos as well. YouTube has a helpful page on getting you started with playlists.

I've used an Inuit playlist the last two years for a social studies centre. I have three centres. One is a netbook/laptop centre where they research animals in Nunavut. The second centre, students work with me to locate Nunavut on a map and look at some of the features of the territory. At the video centre students watch a playlist on Nunavut on the Smartboard and jot notes about what they observe Nunavut looks like. I keep it on a loop so they see a few times. I tell them the first time it is to just watch.

You can check out some of my playlists if you wish. Some are incomplete as I've started to recreate some playlists as I just activated my school account and previously used my personal account.

Here's one I created for Saskatoon:

But What About The Ads and Recommendations? YouTube Options!

One of the concerns many teachers have about using YouTube with students are the ads and recommended videos that show up. Many of these are potentially inappropriate. If you are using Chrome, there is an extension you can add called YouTube Options. It gets rid of everything BUT the video. Check it out!


Further Reading

If this is something you are interested in, you may want to check out the following