Monday, August 12, 2013

What's Next For Div1Edtech?

The themes for my posts for the 2013-2014 school year will be Android Apps for division one, UDL for division one, as it relates to educational technology, and digitally connecting division one students with other students from outside their school.


Android Apps? Why Not iPad Apps?

The new school I am working at in September has Samsung tablets. I am excited to look at how these can be effectively used in the classroom. I was disappointed to find out when doing research on Android apps that most discussion out there is around iPad apps. The limited discussion around Android apps for education rarely included division one apps. However, Google Play for Education is supposed to launch in September! Please leave a comment with any Android apps you think I should check out!


UDL? 

Universal Design for Learning is something that I learned about last year. The principles of UDL fit with my educational philosophy. I read Jennifer Katz's book, Teaching to Diversity: Creating Compassionate Learning Communities, this summer. 


Digital Connections

Off and on over the past ten years I have included pen pals, or some variation, in my teaching. Initially I used ePals, which I would still recommend to teachers looking for unique opportunities to connect their students with other students around the world. With EPSB going Google over the past few years, it seemed like a good time to try a Google product platform. So I began to explore how to effectively use Blogger with division one students. Please leave a comment if you are interested in connecting digitally (gmail, Blogger, etc.) with another division one classroom. I started a community on Google+ that is meant to help teachers find other classes to connect with on Blogger. Check it out!