Friday, July 4, 2014

Twitter Favourites and Finds

Favourites = To Do List

Often when I am reading my Twitter feed, like most on Twitter, I don't actually have time to properly read the links that the people I follow share. So I star them to read later. Three years and 476 favourites later...


A To Do List on the To Do List

This summer I made a fun but perhaps overly ambitious to do list. On that list is  25. Actually look at 40 of the items I “favourited” on Twitter to look at later. So today I set up my laptop on my balcony, put my feet up and started reading. Below are the things I thought were worth sharing.


My Favourite Favourites

Three Working Models to Integrate Technology in Your Teaching

I liked the emphasis put on technology for a purpose in this blog post: Knowing how and when and for what purposes to use this technology is much more important than the technology itself. In this post the author provides three different ways to approaching integrating technology into the classroom. The first was the SAMR model, which I was familiar with. The second model reviewed was TPACK, which I was not familiar with other than seeing the acronym previously, so the link to a 2 minute video was worth watching. The final model was Maslow's, which I was familiar with from my university days but not with the technology connection. The blog post directs the reader to an article by Jackie Gerstein which discusses how technology integration strategies can be used to address the needs identified by Maslow. The blog post is neutral in identifying which is the best or the pros or cons of each. You are left with a general understanding of three models of technology integration. 

Universal Design For Learning Guidelines Graphic

A great visual about the different elements of  Universal Design For Learning (UDL). Whether you are just starting out on your UDL journey or you are a veteran, I think this graphic is worth bookmarking. 


I liked this blog post because it helped me see the issues around creativity and copyright in action. As Chris Hadfield said in his tweet that I favourited, the article "has good balance on copyright and & Space Oddity". My take on the issue and article - while creative endeavours now have more flexibility within the copyright laws, respect and gratitude for original content should not be tossed aside. 

Reflecting on Work Improves Job Performance

I came across this article from Harvard Business School because @JeffMerrell accompanied the link with the phrase my pitch for blogging.

I blog for myself (reflection) but love when it sparks discussion and sharing (which in turn usually leads to more reflection). In this article the findings of research by Francesca Gino and Gary Pisano around reflection and sharing are shared. Their research "show how reflecting on what we've done teaches us to do it more effectively the next time around." Francesca Gino states that "When we fall behind even though we're working hard, our response is often just to work harder. But in terms of working smarter, our research suggests that we should take time for reflection.

I would argue this research does not only support why blogging is useful but why commenting on blogs is equally important. Without comments, blogging is simply reflection. 

A Dr. Seuss-Inspired Guide to Twitter [Infographic]

New to Twitter? Know someone who is? This poem is a fun way to explain some of the basics. 


Teaching Isn’t Rocket Science. It’s Harder.

Ever have one of those days when you let a comment about how easy teachers have it get to you? Keep this blog post bookmarked and read it on that day.

Favourite Resource

Favourite Picture

Would love to see this at our school. So many stairs, let's make use of them!

















Favourite Quotes

Good statement to reflect on as you look at who you follow on Twitter and Google+. 










Only 435 To Go!

So three hours later and I still have a lot of favourites to go through. While I can officially cross it off of my summer to do list, I hope to make some more time later this summer to continue to read and review what I did not have time for during the school year.