Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Google Drawing

Are you looking to have your students classify or sort information into categories? Look no further... Google Drawing to the rescue!

Background Information
I have been very successful in implementing this in my grade 1 class. First, I found Google Drawing to be fairly simple for students using technology for the first time. It's easy for students to manipulate objects and drag objects. It helped build up my students' confidence in using technology. I found it to be easier for younger students to engage in these activities using an actual mouse rather than a keypad on a laptop or Chromebook. I use this as a quick assessment tool.

Teaching the Skills
First off, I wanted students to be able to get on the activities quickly. I had created a Google Drawing template, created a copy for each of my students and shared it with them. It's a bit tedious, but well worth it. That way, all the students would have to do is login to Google Drive and click "Shared With Me" and it should be the first link that pops up.

However, I learned recently that it will be easier sharing the template using the Doctopus add-on (Thanks, Colette!).

Activities 
One of the easiest activities is to just have students to click and drag objects into categories. For example, I had students sort animal coverings into four categories: fur, scales, shell, and feathers. Alternatively, students could come up with their own ideas and find their own pictures using the research tool. In Google Drawing, you can find this under "Tools" --> "Research".



The next challenge is having students create their own shapes using the shape tool.



They were to create shapes and put them into the appropriate headings/categories. The students had little difficulty creating the shapes. The instructions were to find the shape that they wanted and click and drag. In my template, I had them double click into the text box to add their own numbers. Here's an example of this type of activity.




The last type of activity that I have explored involves students using the line tool.


I had them focus on using the polyline. The students didn't have too much trouble figuring this one out. The trick is to ensure the shape they are making is CLOSED. After that, Google shades the shape in automatically and the kids love to see that! Of course, they are welcome to change the colours.



Here are other examples of Google Drawing assignments/projects that I have or another teacher had done.

2D Shapes


Grade 3 Election Poster


Mother's Day Acrostic Poem (Thanks, Shelly!)



There are so many possibilities on using Google Drawing in the classroom! You can find the links to the templates here.





Sorting 1 (Vertices)





You can also find them on the Div1 Collaboration Site for Educational Technology here: https://sites.google.com/a/epsb.ca/division-one-collaboration-site-for-educational-technology/

Thanks for reading!