Sunday, May 27, 2012

Introduction Lesson on how to use Presentation

This is a lesson I have taught in two grade four classes and one grade two class.  It is expected that students have been on the netbooks/laptops before and have logged onto SchoolZone for this lesson. 

As well, like many lessons, this could be taught in one or two class periods depending on how much time you have or the skill and/or age of the class. I was able to teach this to a grade four class using laptops in 90 minutes. The same lesson was done over two days with a grade two class using netbooks (one hour each day).


Set

To start, I let them know that the main purpose of the lesson is to learn the technology skills they need to do a Presentation for science. I inform them that they will be doing their own presentation after they have learned the skills needed. I believe it is important to teach these skills prior to integrating other curriculum. 

I put up my Presentation Steps poster. As you will see, this is very low tech! :) As I do this lesson as a demonstration lesson in other classrooms, I leave this behind for the teacher. I also usually write on it as I go some reminders. 


Depending on the age and technology skill level of the class, I set a "finish" line for each chunk of activity. For example, in grade four I told them that once they had their laptop, they needed to get to step 4 right away. The grade two class I taught this in had limited technology experience, so we went more step-by-step.

Once everyone is at step 4, I have them put their netbooks/aptops at a 45 degree angle to indicate they are done. At this point I show a short 5 minute video about the science topic the class is currently studying. For example I showed Teachers' Domain: Beavers to the grade twos. This five minutes allowed me and the classroom teacher to problem solve any outstanding technical issues while the video was playing so that everyone was ready to go by the end of it.

Body

After the video, I display a Notebook file that has my beaver research jot notes (for grade four it was about plants). This contains facts from the video. I briefly touch on the fact that we usually don't write sentences when doing research. I let them know we'll be using these jot notes to do our Presentation.

At this point I lead students through steps 5 - 8 on my poster. I have a star between step 5 and 6 because if a student has never used Google Apps before, they will have to agree to the terms of their Google Account. 

I also do not deal with theme in the first lesson, so that is why I have them just select OK when asked to choose a theme in step 8.

When it is time to input the information, put up another poster. The one below was used in my grade four lesson where we worked on plants.

Each time that I teach them a new skill, I ask them to have their netbooks/laptops at a 45 degree angle. I demonstrate it once. Then I have them put their screens back up and walk them through it.

The first thing I have them do is create a title for their presentation. I use a worksheet as an analogy. When you do an assignment, everyone's worksheet has the same title. That way it is easy for the teacher and students to go back and find the activity. I usually show them my Google Drive at this time to illustrate how many documents they may end up having.

If using netbooks, you may find it useful to introduce the F11 function of full screen

When you open up a new Google Presentation, it provides a default first slide. I have the students use that first slide and have them input a title and use the subtitle box to put who it is by. At this time I review the use of the "shift" button to make a capital letter. This is a skill most student in grade two are not very familiar with. As well, I introduce the "undo" button. However in  all three lessons I have taught with this format, someone has needed the undo button almost right around the time I am about to bring it up, so it happens naturally.

Before moving onto step three, I pull up the jot notes again and review what we're doing a presentation about. I identify one of the subtopics that we will be making our first slide from. I inform them we'll be doing a list for the purposes of today's activity but that their teacher may be asking them to write in proper sentences for their actual individual Presentation.

For step three, I teach them how to add a new slide by using the arrow beside the plus sign. I ask them to choose "title and body". They type a title that we decide on as a class and they choose 3 facts from the jot notes to write down (those who finish early can do more). I show them the bullet function at this time. In the grade two class I modified this slightly. They chose "title only". 

Once everyone has two slides, I put up another poster.
At this point I go back to my analogy of the worksheet. If they had a worksheet, they'd put their name on it and hand it in. How are they going to hand this in? How will they share it with their teacher?  Again, with their netbooks/laptops at a 45 degree angle, I show the students how to share their Presentation with me. I have them type my last name and have them then look for my full name. I remind them that it must have @share in it. They then press "Share and Save" and then "done".  I switch to my "Shared with me" folder on the Smartboard so that they (and I) can see their file arrive.

Now you may want to wrap the lesson up at this point. I do have one more step that I have taught as a part of this lesson. No poster for this part... yet.

The last part of the lesson is to teach the students how to insert a picture. With their screens at a 45 degree angle, I walk them through the steps. First, they are to select the image icon. This will open up a box. I direct them to the bottom "search" portion. With the grade fours I told them about the Life and Stock Images option. I ask them to leave it at Google. We discuss using keywords. I demonstration a search. I show them how not all the images will fit and that they need to think before selecting. After an image is selected, it will open very large in the slide. So I demonstrate how to size and move it. I walk them through the steps again and let them insert a few images that fit the topic. With the older grades, this allowed me to go into my Shared With Me folder and open all their Presentations and leave them a comment - "great sharing". With the grade twos I was needed to help problem solve. 

Closure

 At the end of the lesson I try to ask some follow up questions, such as:
  • how do you undo a mistake
  • how do you share
  • how do you make a capital
  • which icon will allow you to insert an image
With the grade fours, I told them I had left them a comment. Before they shut down, they were to read my comment and write a 3-4 word reply.

With all classes I let them know that I'd work with them again on the technology skills they'd be needing to do a Presentation. I also encouraged them to share what they had done with their parents at home.


Reflections

I initially thought that using the netbooks would be the best option with division one students who had limited experience with technology. Even with using the F11 function, the screen was quite small. I would not use netbooks to introduce Presentation in the future.

Additional Thoughts

I try to weave into my lessons proper technology vocabulary. Sometimes I point things out specifically. So while not necessarily noted above I discuss the use of the words icon, tabs and browser.